Studies of sleep apnea doctors and insomnia doctors have accumulated research conclusion that 35 adults out of 100 rate their sleep as either fair or dismal. 25 adults out of 100 wake up with the feeling that they didn’t sleep well through the night.
Know about sleep disorder
Having 8 hours of sleep is a must for every adult. Sleep disorders go from common insomnia to rare REM sleep disorder. Here’s a list of most common sleep disorders that adults experience.
This is the most common sleep disorder in young and mature adults. Insomnia doctors have determined that there are many causes of insomnia such as:
But the most common cause is stress. Everyone gets a restless night of sleep every once in a while, does that come under insomnia? No! if you have been finding it hard to sleep or maintain that sleep for 3 months straight. Then you have insomnia. Insomnia is a chronic disorder. So, if you have been having a hard time sleeping for a day or two you don’t have insomnia. It is treatable to some extend with therapy and medicine.
- Sleep Apnea
Sleep Apnea is a crucial disorder. According to the sleep apnea doctors there are two types if this disorder:
- Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA): where the soft tissue at the back of the throat collapses and air flow is blocked during sleep. This can happen as much as 100 times in one night.
- In central sleep apnea (CSA): This isn’t an actual blockage but the brain failing to send the signal to the body to breathe.
The funny thing is that almost everyone who suffers from this disorder doesn’t even realize they have until they are told by their doctor. Normally males with obesity issues, over the age of 65 are affected with sleep apnea, claimed by sleep apnea doctors.
Symptoms of Sleep Apnea
- Waking up multiple times
- Choking during sleep
- Loud snoring
- Aching body all day
- Being tired all day
When a person sleeps for 8 hour’s deep sleep the body restores muscles, bones and tissues but with sleep apnea the body isn’t able to do this because there is no deep sleep with this disorder. Sleep apnea can lead to a lot of cardiologic problems like weak heart and heart failure.
Treatment of Sleep Apnea
- Use a dental or oral appliance
- Continuous positive airway pressure therapy
- Weight management
- Positional therapy
Narcolepsy i.e. irregular sleep disorder. A person who is suffering from narcolepsy will sleep anywhere any time. Quite literally. While eating, showering, having a conversation, the list is endless. It is a neurological disorder that mostly goes undetected. It can occur at any age but mostly it’s between the age of 15 to 25.
Symptoms of Narcolepsy
- Falling asleep without warning
- Feeling restless all day
- Sleep paralysis
- Losing muscle control when while laughing or being angry
- Hallucinations between the transfer period
- Restless nighttime sleeping
The only options to cure this are nap therapy: where your naps are scheduled to help you sleep at the right time and medication.
- Restless Legs Syndrome
This is more of a phycological syndrome, where you have this constant urge to move your legs while you are inactive i.e. sleeping.
- Continuously moving legs when idle
- Feeling that something is crawling up your legs
- Tingling sensations on either legs or other parts of the body
- State of activeness helps with the restlessness
- The problem can get worse if it starts happening during wakeful periods of inactiveness such as, sitting idle for a long time, driving or watching a movie. Therapy (Medications and behavioral both) is the only solution to this disorder
- REM Sleep Behavior Disorder
Acting out like, talking, punching and shouting is called REM sleep behavior disorder. This occurs because your body doesn’t have the muscles paralysis other normal bodies do.
Symptoms of insomnia
- Shouting and talking while sleeping
- Hitting and punching the air or your partner while sleeping
- Medication is a must as this order can lead to injuries as well.
To cap it all, insomnia doctors and sleep apnea doctors germantown md have termed these disorders as serious conditions because they can lead to serious problems. If you sense that you may have any of these disorders you should immediately consult a doctor.